Friday, February 4, 2011

Landon Sterling Jones



Landon Sterling Jones

born Wednesday, Febuary 2nd, 2011 at 8:48 p.m.

Landon came into this world at Prince William Hospital weighting 8 lbs 10 oz, which surprised us all because of his ultrasound measurements,and my belly measurement being so big, and the fact that his two older sisters weighted 9,14 and 9,8.

Here's the details for journal purposes.

Our day began by coming in at 8:00 to be induced. Dr. Stacy Dehal, our neighbor, has been my doctor and really supportive to me through this pregnancy. This time we did it a little different then our other three inductions. This time I was already more than 50% effaced when we came in, so they said I didn't need the gel. I have to admit, I was happy about that because that stuff makes me cramp so bad, but I was worried about changing from what we already know works for me. They game me a IV and started the low levels of Pit. I started having mild but constant contractions about 4-5 minutes apart. After about 2 hours I had only dilated to a 3-4. Around 11:00 they gave me the epidural. I HATE that part because the needle and the weird pains scares me. But I LOVE the no pain that the epidural provides. I always have one place on me right side where the epidural doesn't take, but I'll take what I can get.

In the afternoon, they broke my water and upped the PIT. Off to sleep I went. I always feel a little guilty sleeping while in labor when I think about my Mom and Mother-in-law who labored with no relief. At 3:00 Stacy Dehal, my Dr., came in to check me. I'm not going to lie to you, I was bummed when I was only a 5 and the baby still hadn't "dropped" down. The nurses had me sit up a little and turn from side to side to move the baby down. Like all women, I was constantly watching the baby's heart beat and the strength of the contractions. At 6:00 p.m., Stacy came in to check and I was finally a 7 but the baby still hadn't dropped all the way down. Argh! Seriously, I thought I would go faster with this being my 5th child and having only had Alina 15 month ago. The next bummer was that Dr. Dehal was going off at 7:00 and the really nice nurse Casie who had been helping all day. They were great and stayed close and checked on me quite a bit. I could tell that Stacy was hoping to deliver, but I just didn't change. So at 7:00, my Epidural bag ran out at the same time as the nurse change, and my epidural was never the same after that. Dr. Wall came in to take over for Stacy. He upped the PIT to strengthen my contraction. And WOW did that work! I started having strong PAINful contractions every 1-2 minutes. No one was in the room, but Keith who had to hear me complain. After about 30 minutes of this and really feeling the pressure down below, I asked the nurse to check me. Yippy! I was a 10 with just a little cervix on the right. She asked Dr. Wall if I could start to push. I REALLY want to push because I hurt so bad. Because he was still so far up I don't think Dr. Wall thought I was going to get him out any time soon, because he left the room. I pushed for about 15 minutes and I could feel the burn of his head coming through. The Nurse rang for help and Dr. Wall to come, but it was too late, his head popped out. BLUE! Every thing got rather busy, painful and okay crazy for the next 4 minutes. Dr. Wall was helping another patient and couldn't rush right in. The nurses asked me to stop pushing, which I couldn't do. After a few minutes, Dr. Wall came in and had to assess what was a difficult situation. After a second of frustration, he jumped into the fray, cut the cord which was double-wrapped around Landon's head, and pulled the baby out. The nurses quickly rushed Landon over to get him oxygen and cleaned up. After another couple of minutes, Landon was turning a good color and breathing well. Keith was looking rather concerned when Dr. Wall turned to him and said, "The baby is fine."
He's first apgare was a 5 but then get got a 9. They let us hold him for a minute but then they wanted to check him out in the nursery.
Things didn't go as smooth as Alina or Kendall's delivery but I can't complain. I have a perfect, healthy, happy baby boy. I feel great even after having Landon's head sitting out of me for 3 minutes during delivery, I have no rips, no tears, no stitches, and no hemorrhoids

3 comments:

Greg and Tammy said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I love the name Landon and loved the story. Glad the scary situation was resolved quickly and did not end in any problems for you or the baby. Hope the adjustment to FIVE children goes well.

The Browning Bunch said...

Congrats! He is so adorable!!

Sarah said...

Congratulations!!