Monday, October 22, 2012

What was I thinking?

 When Garrett was about 3 years old, he really wanted a puppy, but I was not ready for a dog and babies.  So we told him, when you're 8 years old, you can get a puppy.  Thinking he would either forget about the promise or we would be ready for a dog by then.  As is turns out, I was even more stressed out with babies, then when he was 3, he didn't forget about the promise and Keith was made the Bishop about a week after he turned 8.  Because I was so overwhelmed last year, we put Garrett off for one more year.  Guild got the better of me this summer and I decided we need to follow through.  Keith did the research to find a great dog. So we decided that let all the kids go with us to pick him up in Straysburg, PA (the place with all the trains).  As we started to get close to where we were going, I noticed that everyone have amazing yards and gardens, then I noticed a horse and buggie, and then a we Amish people.  When we drove up to the house with our dog, it was milking time, and a nice little Amish man came out to greet us.  It was perfect!  They had a tiny white female, that was adorable, but Garrett, Keith and I like the look of Fudge, the name the breeder gave him.  Garrett was in HEAVEN!  He held him the whole 4 hour ride home then brought a blanket and pillow down to sleep by him all night.  
 He's a F1B Goldendoodle.  He's a 1/3 Golden Retriever and 2/3 Poodle mix.  Don't ask!!  Any ways, he'll only get to about 35-40 lbs. He has hair and not fur, no sheading.  And they say, he suppose to me smart like poodles and mellow like retrievers.  We'll see about that.  But so far, he's a very easy going dog that takes a lot of TOUGH love from every kid in the neighborhood. 



 Naming this little guy was more difficult then I had expected.  Keith like Barkley, but the kids say it Broccley.  Taryn want Fluffy, Kendall likes Dexter, and Aline want to keep it simple with Puppy.  Garrett changed his mind every day.  On the night he had Scouts, his name was Scout.  The next night he was Nash, after Steve Nash. But we finally settled on Shaggy, because he's not a Scooby.   Nicknames, Shaggolious, Shaggomister, the Shagster, Shagobot, and Shraggy.  We love him, now if I can just train him, and get an underground fence.


3 comments:

Lanae said...

you are a great mama!! shaggy is sooo cute. and kendall is a little lady all of a sudden. you girls are gorgeous tamee!! those summer pictures are great. keep posting...we miss you and your cute family. can't wait to see you soon.

Abby said...

Ok I know I haven't spoken with you guys forever, but this popped up on my blog and I couldn't help but laugh out loud, because I had the exact same feelings and promised the same thing to Eliza. Unfortunately 8 is coming sooner than later and I am getting a little nervous about my promise. She is already researching what dog she needs to get. Yikes!
Good luck!

Kristal said...

make that dog have puppies and send me one! Cutest dog ever! We have our next dog picked out, but Foxxie keeps living!!!! I think this is her last year though. She's been an awesome dog, but now she's an old bitch!