Saturday, October 24, 2009

Alina's Big Day


At my appointment the Tuesday before Alina was born, Dr. G. suggested we get this big ole baby out. However, I didn't want to induce until my Mom could help with kids. She flew in on Saturday night, so we went in on Sunday morning for "the gel" The gel that cause intense cramping and pain but has sent me into labor with my past two babies. Sure enough within ten minutes the intense cramping and pain began. We walked around the hallways for tow hours to encourage contractions and dilation but like all the other times, I was a 1. I decided I'd rather be miserable at home or anywhere out of the hospital, so we went for a little drive.

But once we got in the car the pains stepped up a notch. I couldn't decided what to do, so we went to get a milk shake at 31 flavors, which I never crave. While enjoying my shake I couldn't think straight to make a decision. Keith really wanted to just go back to the hospital to wait it out but I couldn't decided. So we called our good friends, who is also a OBGYN. He said you can either go home, be in pain, and have to deal with your kids, OR go back to the hospital, ask for drugs and have no pain?
Hum? I didn't think of it that way. Good call by him!
When we got back to the hospital, they hooked me up to the machines, and found out I was in active labor. I was having contractions every three minutes for forty five minutes. The gave me an epidural, broke my water, and I went to sleep. Around 9:30 pm I started to feel pain and a lot of pressure, so I told the nurse I may need a little more juice in the epidural. So Dr. Gonzalas came into check me, and I was a 10. I pushed for about 10-15 minutes. Thank heavens she was facing down!
Out came baby Alina!
At 10:10p.m. our perfect 9 pounds, 6 ounces, and 21 inches long baby girl came into this world.
The first thing I notice was her long toes, perfectly round noggin and light hair. Those first few minutes with your new child are so precious. Although I feel love for my child before they are born, it doesn't compare to that overwhelming feeling you get the first time you hold them.
We called a let our family know. The kids really wanted to come visit the baby but due to the pig flu they could only check her our through the window, so Grandma helped them make crafts for me and the new baby. I love this paper plate creation that Garrett made of me with baby Alina still in my tummy. Oh, I love that boy!


No comments: