Friday, September 26, 2008

Marriage Standards


So for the past week or so, it has been made clear to me what an excellent decision I made when I married Keith. A few weeks ago I had to teach a lesson in young women's entitled, Marriage Standards, which basically was on preparing to select a marriage partner. The lesson quoted President Spencer W. Kimball, "Marriage is perhaps the most vital of all the decisions and has the most far-reaching effects, for it has to do not only with immediate happiness, but eternal joys as well".
I married when I was 32 and I don't know if I clearly understand how true that is. When I decided to marry Keith, I knew he was a general good guy. He had no bad habits, and enjoyed doing many of the same things I did. I could tell from his current job that he had good work ethic, and was seeking more education. He has a good family, and good friends. He seems new at, but able to acquire skills with handling small children. His mild, personal and mostly reserved personality seemed to compliment my outgoing, all over the place, and sometimes over the top personality. We enjoyed engaging in conversation about certain topics which helped me quickly realized that I would always respected his opinion and would follow his counsel. I remember that stuck me as a odd but very important aspect of our relationship, because I often didn't feel that the guys I was dating would give me solid advice if I sought it. He was a true lasting friend. And to top everything off, I thought he was HOT. Still do.


Teaching that lesson made me think about a few things. Did I really know enough about this guy to commit to be with him everyday through this life and all eternities? Were me prepared to have children together, which came sooner rather then later? I think about all the deep questions I must have asked myself before committing to this eternal covenant. But all I can remember is being so madly in LOVE with this man that I couldn't stand to be away from him for one day. We would both travel every night between Tucson and Tempe to see each other every day.

I'm grateful for good friends, Marci Kay and good family, my sisters that encouraged me to date Keith. They all would tell me all the great characteristic about Keith that I already knew, but it was reassuring to hear it from others. I guess that would be good advise to anyone dating someone and wondering if they should get serious. Take them around trusted friends and family for the conformation that you are making a good decision.


What a find I have in Keith Jones. Everyday I discover more about him that I love. He is such a kind, involved parent. I don't know who is more excited when Keith comes home from work each day, him or the kids. He's such a devoted servant to the Lord. A supportive and loving spouse. Keith's constant concern is for me. I know that I am his priority. Every aspect of my life has been increased for good since I married Keith. (Unfortunately so has my waist, but that's not his fault.) How blessed I am to have married Keith Jones.

9 comments:

Lisa said...

Tamee you did a great job!! You are both such a cute couple.

Denise said...

So stinkin' cute.

Gosh, almost makes me sad I didn't get a chance at him.

Oh well.

I got lucky too.

Sweet post.

Jamie said...

I am so glad you found him too!!

Michelle said...

This is too sweet. Singing the praises of our hubands endears them even more to us. You are truly a blessed woman.

Kerri said...

What a sweet post!! We all love Keith Jones ... he is one loyal friend! Come visit us soon!!

Kristal said...

Amen! Keith is the best! Um, and look at your hot legs in that last shot. Whoot Whoo!!!
My favorite thing about you marrying Keith...he introduced me to The Office which completes me, and makes me the person I am today, well, that and mom and dad.

PDH said...

Hey darling.. these pictures bring back lots of memories when my daughter became a Jones.. We all miss you and hope VA is good for you.. Don't let that state vote Obama in!!!!
Love ya..
DAD

Unknown said...

Im not sure how Obama got into this comment session - leave it to our ever-lovin dad:-)

Keith is one of those guys everyone loves and its so amazing to see how the Lord helped in the process of you two meeting. Who would have thought two people so perfect would stay single long enough to find eachother - it was a miracle.

Paula said...

Love that Keith and love that he saw the amazing person we all knew that you were. Love that advice about knowing whether the person you are dating is a good person to be dating. Send that to my darling daughter--would ya:)