Friday, September 12, 2008

Remembering..

Like all parents of the school age children, one of the first things we do each morning is check the calendar for Garrett's activities. Today Keith pointed out that it was 911. I spent the rest of the morning thinking about the horrific day.
Seven years ago, I was single, living in Temple, AZ in a townhouse, and teaching 5th grade. On September 11th I had gotten up early (6:30ish) to iron and was watching the news. As we all remember no one knew what was going on, so there were many differing reports coming in. I do remember having a sick feeling in my stomach, and being confused, so I call my brother-in-law Bill cause I knew he'd already be up and could speak reason to me.
As we watched the second tower be hit, I wept.
I had just been to New York, seen the towers. Knowing how gigantic they were, I thought about the great fallout this would create.
Even though I was all the way in Arizona, I was scared. Your country was under attack.
I rushed to get to school, knowing that much would need to be done to prepare to calm and secure the kids so that they would not be frightened. It was difficult not to convey my fear and confusion, while talking with the kids.
We, like most schools decided not to let the children watch the news, but every teacher, on every break was in the principals office watching the news when they could.
I will never forget the pain of 911, and the effects that it had on our country. We came together. And we have shown the strength that makes America, great.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember you during this time too. Remember that crappy rental house and the huge TV we would sit around and watch - crazy to think you werent married then. Seems like youve been married for a long time, now that I never see you:-(

Alex, JJ, Zac...The Lorenzen's said...

I appreciate your comments on 9/11, as I was at work thinking about the same thing. It's hard to believe it's been 7 years.

kristal said...

I remember it too. I was knocked up and laying on the couch where I spent 6 lazy months. I was SO confused, and Jason wasn't home with me, he was at the bwinkles. It was a horrible day. Defiantely the most empty feeling I've ever had in my life that day.
Jaden's class has been talking about "twin towers" for a week now. They drew pictures. I'm going to post his. It's really sad, and he doesn't even fully understand how sad of an event it was.

Jamie said...

Hi Tami,

I found your blog through Cami DeWitt, my neighbor. Small world! I taught at Settler's Point with you and I remember the kids' and teachers' reactions just as you have described. Your family is adorable. Hope all is well with you!

Jamie Twitty