Sunday, January 18, 2009

Christmas morning


Before I begin the low down on the Prizes of Christmas morning, let me document the events of late night Christmas eve. No this is not a romantic interlude, it's an unforgettable unfortunate experience for Santa's little helpers.
Let me just begin by saying that for the week leading up to Christmas, I said a few times, "Maybe we should get a jump on the late night Christmas Eve put together fun, and start on that kitchen?" No response.
After returning from a fun night at the Olsen's, put the kids to bed, turn the A Christmas Story, and we started assembling. As Keith was laying out all THREE HUNDRED pieces to the retro play kitchen, I could tell that this was going to be a LONG night. Little did I know that it was going to be a long and ugly night at the Jones household.
With out giving away to much, let me just document that a screwdriver was pitched across the room more then once, mild adult language was used, and we just about canceled Christmas. But alas with a little team work, Mormon Tabernacle Choir in the background, and Christmas magic, at 3:00 am the kitchen came somewhat together, and Christmas prevailed.
Now on to the joy of Christmas morning.

Crazy haired Tary-taryz got a shopping cart but was quick to take co-ownership of the infamous kitchen.

The kitchen was the best toy of the day for Kendall, with the dress-up box from Grandma Hatch coming in a close second. Her other favorite toy was the makeup kit from Mom and Dad.



Our little artsy-fartsy boy got an easel and paints from Mom and Dad, which is a hit for all the kids. And hours of distraction. He also received a V-tech from Santa and a new part to his train.

Garrett's school had a "Secret Santa Shop" where the kids could take a few dollars and buy presents for their family. Garrett was so excited to do this without any assistance from me. I was a little worried that we'd all end up with dinosaurs for presents. But I figured it would be a good experience.
Well two weeks before Christmas, Garrett and I were in the front room, and Garrett grabbed my face, pointed to the TV and said, "Mom do you like all that white stuff?"
There was a diamond commercial on TV. I laughed and responded, "Yes, I LOVE diamonds!"
Garrett thought for a minute, then asked, "What if they were in the shape of a heart. Would you like that?"
"Ya, Garrett I'd love diamonds in the shape of a heart"
Well that's exactly what I got, and it's beautiful. Garrett told me, "Every time you wear it, you can remember that Garrett loves you."
Kendall got Garrett the dinosaur that he wanted and Garrett got Kendall the light up ring that she wants so all was good with them.
Garrett got Dad a small statue of Superman that says "Dad your my hero" That Keith oh so proudly took to work for his office.

3 comments:

A mother heart said...

Garret is such a sweetheart. I wish we were closer to see them growing up!

Melanie said...

Awesome! It's not Christmas without a good Christmas fight! haha I'm picturing the screw driver flying across the room right now! haha

Sarah said...

Ha ha ha! Great story. Oh I can just see us doing the same thing, trying to put stuff together the night before and ending up in a big brawl instead!

Where did you get Garrett's pajamas?? They are AWESOME!!!