Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Is anyone really listening?

Every night at bedtime, we read from a chapter book, like The Magic Tree House series, then we read one or two chapters from the scriptures just to get your kids use to hearing the verbiage of the scriptures and to bore them to sleep. During the chapter book it's hard to get the kids to stay quiet long enough to read. They either want to retell you, what you just read, or ask what something means. But during the scriptures they space off or fall asleep in the first two minutes. Works like a charm!
But one night, I was reading from the D &C where is says, "And if any people shall rise against this people, that thine anger be kindled against them," Then I read the next two lines, Kendall, who had her eyes closed and I thought was asleep, stopped me.
"Mom"
"Yes, Kendall"
"You said my name in the scriptures"
With a chuckle, "Yes, I did"
Dead serious "Why?"
Insert my definition of "kindled"
Then she smiles, "Oh, Thanks Mom"

I continue reading from the scriptures. Thinking both the kids are asleep. Two minutes later, Garrett mutters.
"Mom"
"Yes, Garrett"
"Is the word Garrett in the scriptures?"
Laughing once again, "No, I don't think so"
"Mom, Garrett means fighting spear, and they fight in the scriptures, so I'm in em"
"Sure, go to sleep"

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Such a cute memory!!!
P.S. Gym...this week...9:30!

Jeffrey said...

Adorable! It is amazing what they actually pick up.