Thursday, September 24, 2009

Lesson on life

This morning Garrett woke up with a blood nose. He gets them a lot, particular during allergy season. I was worried sending him off to school that it would be a problem, but by lunch when I didn't hear from him, I figured they had gone away. Wrong!

As I was waiting for him to walk off the bus this afternoon, I could see the bus driver waving for me to come to the bus. As Garrett started down the stairs, I saw the big tears in his eyes. He ran to me, and said, "I don't want to ever ride the bus again." Okay slow down, little guy.

Garrett explained that it was hot on the bus, so his nose started to bleed and he couldn't get to his tissues in his backpack or pocket. He's two "friends" that were sitting by him, started to make fun of him, and moved to another seat leaving him alone. They then encouraged others to say things to him like, "You're gross!" "You're sick!" and "Nobody wants to be around a bloody boy!" I know that six and seven year old boys are immature and even silly sometimes, meaning to hurt, but it still hurts when your the same age and on the other end. The two little neighbor boys that did this are never been my favorite. In fact, we don't associate with then other then riding on the bus with them for ten minutes both ways. Fortunately they are in First and Second grade, and make up good excuses for not being able to play with them. Also thank heavens started in October, their mother goes back to work and they'll be staying at the after school program. I know I'm mean but I don't like em and would LOVE to eliminate them from Garrett's life.

After calming him down and myself down. Getting his blood nose to stop. Talking a little about the situation, I decided to distract him until we both could claim down, and have Keith the voice of reason chime in. Garrett wanted to watch Scoobie Doo and I made soup. As I was stewing over Garrett's situation, I realized that he needs to have these experiences so build confidence, self esteem and understanding about how to treat other. Having a blood nose is not a bad thing and you know how to handle them when they happen, even it Mom, Dad, your teacher or any other adult it there to help you. You are a great boy no matter what other say to or about you. You need to stand up for yourself. So tomorrow you need to tell, (your friends) that what they did hurt your feelings and explain why, when and how you handle blood noses when they happen. But most importantly, I want Garrett to learn to have compassion for others with everyone else is laughing at them, whatever the reason.

No comments: