Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The training of a Padawan Learner.

For being the happiest place on earth, there are some pretty scary things happening around Disneyland. Garrett quickly realized that many of the scary rides displayed snakes, and other creepy characters. One thing that was scary to me but exciting to Garrett was the Jedi Training Academy. A show were little Padawans hone their lightsaber skills as they learn techniques and "moves" from a Jedi Master, knowing that they will soon face the dark side.
The day before we caught the end of the show and Garrett REALLY wanted to be apart. So since Kendall had enjoyed her special dinner with the Princess, Garrett needed a special moment. We went thirty minutes early to get a good seat. Garrett was front and center before any other kids had arrived. Unfortunately, two minute before the show started swarms for kids crowded around Garrett to the point you could barely see him. I was with the girls up in the eatery so Garrett could hardly hear me. The show begins. The lead Jedi starts to pick kids from the crowd describing them by their shirt, or hat and funny hair. Garrett could not have been any more conservatively dressed if I tried. And his not that great at jumping up and down like a crazy guy unless accompanied by friends or cousins. With much heart ache he was not picked. Garrett couldn't hear me and wouldn't look at me, but I could tell that tears were soon to come. I had the girls and the stroller with swarms of people around me, so I could go to him. Finally he looked at me, as tear weld up. I motioned for him to come to me. Pulling my "little" boy up over the guard rail, I throw all the kids in the stroller and pushed my way through the crowd out of the place and around the corner. By the time I found a place for us to sit in the shade and hug, we were both crying. It hurt so bad to see my little boy want something and not be picked. I don't know how we will ever make it through any sports tryouts. Within five minutes, Disneyland went from the happiest place on earth to the WORST! I promised him we would come back for every show and try to get him in. I thought to myself, I'll buy him a new shirt or hat or jump up and down behind him if it just makes this happen for him.
We went and rode rides to get our mind off it, and went back for the next show.

Funny little side story. Every time Darth Maul would come up close to the crowd to scare the kids. Sweet little Miss Macy would wave and smile at him. Suddenly Darth Maul stopped looked right at Kendall, smiled and waved oh, so sweetly. Then went right back to he's scary face and ugly ways. Kendall brings out the good in the dark side.

With me and Kendall jumping around behind him the Master Jedi exclaimed, "Join us, young gentlemen in the button up shirt. You will bring honor to our force." Wahooo!! I don't know who was happier, me or Garrett.
The training was grueling,
Active lightsaber!
Now strike to the right arm, left arm and take off their head.
Now duck!
Attack the left leg, and right leg.
Well done, young Jedi!

Upon completion of Jedi training, the dark side emerged to fight each Padawan learner. Garrett faced Darth Maul. The scariest looking dude EVER!



5 comments:

Andrea said...

My boys love (obsession) of Star Wars began when we went to Disney World and went on the Star Wars ride (we skipped the show because we had a feeling they wouldn't get picked--we had too many boys with us. Evan loved seeing all of the pictures and watching Garrett fight Darth Maul. Evan thinks he's Darth so maybe him and Garrett can have a dual!!

A mother heart said...

I'm so glad that story had a happy ending and that Garrett is now a Padawan!
You're the coolest nephew ever, Garrett!

Lisa said...

How cute!! My little guy who is now almost 10 is still obsessed with Star Wars, like they say once it is in your blood it never leaves you because Lonnie is a full pledge Star Wars fan. That is so cool that he got to go up and fight Darth Maul. What a great ending. Next time you are here we have to get together. Your family is way to cute.

Ruth said...

Ok, Now I know I am behind, I didn't know you went to Disney? Looks like a good time but alot of work for you. Are you calling Kendall Macy? I was confused by that. Anyway, Teddy would die to know there is a Star Wars place, he would love to be a padawon learner! Tell Garrett he is not alone, Ted wants to learn the ways of the force. I guess I will end with may the force be with you - great one. Love tons, Ruth

Kristal said...

that video is soo cute! I like to see his very sweet agressive side. Actually, I think that's the first time I've seen it. Too bad Kam can't share some of her aggretion with him. Hey, come back...we miss you!!!!