Monday, August 25, 2008

The cake

Today Kendall and I made Garrett's birthday cake. As I looked down at her, the thought crossed my mind that this seems familiar. The smell of cake, a coke on the counter, colored icing all over the kitchen, and a little girl that wants to help. I remember being in Kendall's shoes. It seemed like every weekend my mother was making a wedding or birthday cake. It was amazing to me how she could turn plain ole icing into beautiful roses, and leafs. I do not possess the skills that my mother has, but I hope that Kendall feels that excitement and desire to make a cake for her kids.

After emptying out all the Tupperware, poor Taryn needed a little attention.

After going to the Clones War with his dad, Garrett came home to his second Lightning McQueen birthday cake. You'd think I'd become better at making this cake, but I was much quicker at decorating it.
Happy 5th Birthday, Garrett!


12 comments:

Andrea said...

Happy b-day Baby Garrett!!!!

Denise said...

Happy birthday Garrett!

We love you!

AWESOME cake!

A mother heart said...

Happy, happy birthday Garrett, dear, happy days will come to you all year...
Cool cake! You have skills! I had no idea you could to that. It looks great!

Lanae said...

hope the boys are still Garrett's favorite people when their mommy forgot his birthday!!! we tried to call today, but maybe will catch you tomorrow! great job with the cake. i will hopefully get to the pics tomorrow, so we will be on speaking terms when you come at christmas...sorry about the delay.
have a great week
lanae

Emily Merchant said...

What do you mean you don't possess the cake talent? Wow! That is a great cake.

Mia is sitting here with me and wants to send Garrett many happy birthday wishes! We are still bummed to be missing the beach fun with the Joneses.

Sarah said...

The cake looks awesome! Happy birthday, Garrett!!

Jamie said...

Happy Birthday to Garrett!! That cake is fabulous. I won't even attempt those. I am the store bought Mom when it comes to cakes!

Greg and Tammy said...

That cake is amazing Tamee!! I just told Greg... "our kids will never have a cake that looks that good." :) You are VERY talented!

Shaunae said...

Yep, that cake is amazing! You definetly have more talent than you give yourself credit for. Your mom must be incredible at cake decorating because that cake was pro quality in my book.

Kristal said...

yay! happy birthday Garrett (really late) from your favorite auntie...who stinks because she kept your gift while you were visiting, but she's going to make it up to you big time because she loves you so stinking much!!!!

Holly said...

Look at you and your cake decorating skills! Wowsa! Good job! Happy Birthday, Mr Garrett.

Jen said...

That cake is Awesome!
We had so much fun with you all last week. Thanks again for letting us tag along.
Tell Kendall we hope she feels better.