Monday, June 22, 2009

There's a first time for everything.

And here's how our first time at the emergency room went.....
It's around 5:30 p.m. on a Wednesday night, I just finished cooking dinner and most of the kids are at the bar eating dinner, except for Taryn, who likes to sit beside me on the sofa and play with my hair. I'm just sitting there relaxing and watching TV, when Taryn lost her balance and went head first off the sofa onto the rug. Yes, a big fat padded rug. She started to scream, so I picked her up to comfort her, thinking this was just a normal fall and bonk your head fall. But after about twenty minutes of screaming I was starting to question if she was okay. Her arm looked normal but I could tell she was holding it differently. I gave her some ibuprofen and decided to give her a bath to see if she'd feel better, but as she was trying to go up the stairs I noticed that she was putting any weight on her right arm and was once again crying.
By this time it was a little after 6:00, Keith was at leaving work on his way to a church meeting, but I still called him for support. He suggested calling Mike and Linda, our dear friends and constant lifesavers, to come over and look at her. So I said a little pray, and called Linda, who was just sitting down for dinner with her husband and sister before he had to leave for the same church meeting. But of course, they dropped everything to come right over and help me.
They looked at and said what I thought I'd have to do. The only way to know if something is wrong with it is to have it X-rayed. And the only place to have it X-rayed at this hour is at the emergency room. So as Mike put it just decided when you want to go to the emergency room and spend 4-5 hours and go. Because you could go now, or at 3:00a.m. when she wake up in pain and I'm worried to death, or in the morning when she's still holding her arm weird. Okay if you put it that way. I guess now is a good time.
Sweet Linda and her sister stayed to put my kids and off Taryn and I went to the hospital. Fortunately the emergency room wasn't busy when we first went in so we didn't wait in the waiting room but five minutes, BUT then when they got us settle in a room four ambulances came in. Wednesday was the last day of school so everyone was letting their kids stay up late and celebrate, which leads to accidents. And much more serious accidents then a hurt arm. Nice! But Taryn and I had our own room with a bed and TV, so we laid around and watched My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Ever thirty or forty minutes a nurse, Dr. or X-ray tech. would come in to poke at her arm to make her cry. Fun!
The saddest was trying to X-ray her arm. Because I'm pregnant I could hold her or ever be in the room. It took three nurses to hold her down while they took the pictures. Even more fun!
The conclusion was that she buckle fractures her wrist, so they splinted it, and sent us home with instructions to go see a Orthopedic Dr. the next day.
A $100.00 bucks and four hours later we arrived back home. Besides the pain to my sweet daughter, which wasn't the hospitals fault, it wasn't that bad of an experience.




1 comment:

Jamie said...

Oh Poor thing. We have done the emergency room thing alot lately and it is never fun!